About us

Founded in 1892, Shepherd Electric Supply is the oldest wholesale electrical distributor in the Baltimore/Washington area. Independent and American-owned, we pride ourselves on exceptional customer service and the most extensive inventory in the area. Our experienced and knowledgeable sales staff is ready to service your every need and exceed your expectations. We have specialized divisions to handle a diverse group of customers including commercial construction, lighting and switchgear projects, commercial facilities, facility management, industrials, OEMs, and government organizations. We currently have four locations: Baltimore, Beltsville, Frederick (MD) and Dulles (VA).

Our History

1892

  • Ernest Fluharty and Henry Shepherd found the Shepherd-Fluharty Electric Company, on Calvert Street in downtown Baltimore.
  • The company partners with General Electric, also founded in 1892. Shepherd and GE have been partners for the entire life of both companies.
  • Shepherd sells batteries and light bulbs.

1900's

  • Shepherd starts selling lighting fixtures and chandeliers.
  • Shepherd moves to Water Street in downtown Baltimore.

1928 Packing Slip

A 1928 Shepherd-Fluharty packing slip.

1920's

  • Charles Vogel, Jr., the father of the current CEO, starts working at Shepherd.

1930

  • Lombard Street Building

    Shepherd moves to Lombard Street, in downtown Baltimore.

1931

  • Ernest Fluharty leaves the company. Henry Shepherd, Charles Vogel, Jr., and 3 other investors incorporate the company as Shepherd Electric Company, Inc. Henry Shepherd had the largest share and becomes President.

1933

  • Henry Shepherd passes away, and the board of directors elects Vogel President.
Showroom

The Lombard Street showroom, circa 1930.

1945

  • Shepherd starts selling appliances; we were big distributors of Sunbeam, Oster, Hunter, and several television lines.
  • The customer base starts becoming much more industrial.

1950's

  • Vogel gains a majority share in the company.

1959

  • Charles Vogel, III, the current CEO, starts working at Shepherd.

Early 1960's

  • The Vogel family gains full control of the company.

Charles Vogel III and Charles Vogel, Jr.

Charles Vogel III and Charles Vogel, Jr.

1969

  • Due to the first phase of Baltimore's redevelopment of the Inner Harbor, Shepherd and many other businesses are forced to relocate; Shepherd moves to Fells Point.
  • 1968-moving-to-aliceanna.jpg

Mid-1970's

  • Industrial market growing, appliance sales substantially decreased.

1984

  • Shepherd moves into their fifth and current location on Pulaski Highway in Baltimore, Maryland.
  • Major shift in customer base from industrial to commercial.
  • Shepherd starts a lighting department.
  • Shepherd has 20 employees.
  • b1.jpg

    7401 Pulaski Highway, Baltimore MD 21237

1992

  • Shepherd has 60 employees.

Shepherd Owners

Spencer, Scott, Charles III and Stuart

1998

  • Shepherd opens its second location in Beltsville, Maryland.
belt-(large).jpg

6920 Distribution Drive, Beltsville, MD 20705

1999

  • Shepherd has 100 employees.

2000

  • Stuart Vogel becomes President.

2004

B2

Shepherd expands by purchasing its second building in Baltimore.

2006

  • Shepherd opens a third location in Sterling, Virginia.
sterling.jpg

45080 Old Ox Road, Sterling, VA  20166

2008

  • Shepherd has 200 employees.

2012

  • Shepherd opens a fourth location in Frederick, Maryland.
Fred-crop-logo

Shepherd's fourth location at 5748 Industry Lane in Frederick, Maryland.

2014

  • Shepherd expands the Baltimore location with the purchase of a third building.
b3-(large).jpg

Shepherd's newest building at the Baltimore location.

“A great and dedicated organization that truly outshines.” 

– Donna Myers, Mona Electric

Page executed in 0.538753986359 seconds.
Served 4 items from the cache. Queries - total: 18 select: 18